Re: Future of Europe (Tausch vs Derrida-Habermas)
by Trichur Ganesh
23 June 2003 01:17 UTC

   Derrida is a philosopher, a student of Foucault and Althusser at the ENS, and later an important philospher in his own right.  His best book, in my opinion, is "Specters of Marx".  Whether or not he is a "pomo" (or whatever) has to do with how you see his attempts at "deconstructing" the foundations of Western metaphysics, and thereby providing some of the grounds for those who were so keen on doing away with all 'big theory'.  But that was part of the conjuncture of the late sixties and early seventies.  Since then some powerful critiques of the postmodern position have already been launched (I merely repeat what you already know) by Jameson, Harvey, Eagleton, Anderson, Callinicos, and in 1994, the publication of  The Long Twentieth Century brought back into the debates the necessity of a long historical perspective to make sense of a shifting present.  Like Jameson, I am inclined to see the condition of postmodernity as indicative of a deep crisis of representation produced by the shifting  materialities of world accumulation and the globalized project of neoliberlism.  The current conjuncture does raise the question of the political, of what is entailed in imagining the political in the context of the latest rounds of space-time compression, 'flexible accumulation', financial expansion, growing polarization between North and South and the targeting of the South for renewed primitive accumulation, as well as the concentration of the weapons of mass destruction in the US. Ganesh.

n0705590 wrote:

Derrida is not a pomo.  In fact, I would challenge anyone in this forum to
come up with a coherent definition of Pomo, as a set of parameters that would
characterise at least more than  one author.

And if you ask me what Postmodernism actually means, I must reply that it
means nothing at all, that the term is so meaningless it cannot be used to
actally 'label' people

>===== Original Message From Andre Gunder Frank <franka@fiu.edu> =====
> MY PREJUDICES are pro Taush and anti- Habermas & Derrida to begin with,
>and would not ordinarily trouble even to read Habermas.  I know him
>poersonally and had only the worst experiences with him - as my boss -
>and with Tuh only the best poersonally and otherwise. And as for
>Derrida, he comes marked by PO-MO. nough said
>agfrank
>On
>Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Gernot Koehler wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:08:42 +0200
>> From: Gernot Koehler <gktbg1@tiscali.de>
>> To: wsn@csf.colorado.edu
>> Subject: Future of Europe (Tausch vs Derrida-Habermas)
>>
>> Future of Europe (Tausch vs Derrida-Habermas)
>>
>> The views on the future of Europe expressed by Tausch, on the one hand, and
>> Derrida and Habermas, on the other, are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
>> However, the emphases are markedly different. Tausch, as an empirical
>> world-system sociologist, looks at socio-economic trends and finds that
>> Europe - rather than becoming a hegemonial leader, is stagnating and on the
>> path of becoming a banana republic (my expression). In contrast, Derrida
and
>> Habermas, as philosophers, dream  (nothing wrong with dreaming per se) of a
>> virtuous Europe and its potential good influence in the world along
>> liberal-pacifist lines. Both Tausch and Derrida-Habermas see dangers and
>> difficulties in the intra-European relationship between West (old EU) and
>> East (new members of EU), with the old West of Europe being in danger of
>> bullying and/or exploiting the East.
>>
>> HIGHLIGHTS:
>>
>> (1) Tausch writes:
>>
>> "Hypothesis 14: . . . Europe, with its huge state sector, its high tariff
>> walls against foreign competition, and its large scale penetration by
>> foreign capital, its slow process of technological innovation, is destined
>> to become the 'Argentina' of the 21st Century. Also its small future
>> population base and rigid migration regime do not qualify it for a rapid
>> 21st Century economic growth. There is a great risk that the European West
>> will treat the newly democratic East as a reservoir of surplus value and
>> exploitation."
>>
>> (2)Derrida and Habermas write [my translation]:
>>
>> (a) "There must be no separatism within the framework of the future
European

http://www.faz.net/s/Rub117C535CDF414415BB243B181B8B60AE/Doc~ECBE3F8FCE2D049
>> AE808A3C8DBD3B2763~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html
>>
>> Respectfully submitted with a disclaimer
>> (this short posting cannot do justice to the complex texts
>> by the cited authors, but has the purpose of highlighting their positions)
>>
>> Gernot Köhler, Ph.D.

>    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>               ANDRE    GUNDER      FRANK
>
>Senior Fellow                                      Residence
>World History Center                    One Longfellow Place
>Northeastern University                            Apt. 3411
>270 Holmes Hall                         Boston, MA 02114 USA
>Boston, MA 02115 USA                    Tel:    617-948 2315
>Tel: 617 - 373 4060                     Fax:    617-948 2316
>Web-page:csf.colorado.edu/agfrank/     e-mail:franka@fiu.edu

Damian Popolo
PhD candidate
Newcastle University