Re: basic books on modernization theory
by Carl Nordlund
23 June 2003 11:44 UTC

I vaguely remember a similar request was done on WSN a couple of months
(years?) ago re recommendations on books on modernization theory -
perhaps check the archives?

A book that covers some nice parts of modernization theory and
development theory in general is Oman/Wignaraja's "The Post-war
Evolution of Development Thinking" (Palgrave Macmillan 1991). If I
remember correctly, it hints at the gray-scale between "modernization
theory" (Rostow, Rosenstein-Rodan, Hirschmann etc) and the dependency
school, through Raul Prebisch's and ECLA/CEPAL's use of a neoclassical
discourse (the Prebisch-Singer-theorem regarding different demand
elasticities for raw material vs manufactures).

Carl Nordlund
-----
Carl Nordlund, BA, PhD student
carl.nordlund(at)humecol.lu.se
Human Ecology Division, Lund university
www.humecol.lu.se

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: wsn-owner@csf.colorado.edu [mailto:wsn-owner@csf.colorado.edu] För
ventrone@unina.it
Skickat: den 23 juni 2003 01:03
Till: Baronov, David
Kopia: 'Alan Spector'; WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK
Ämne: Re: basic books on modernization theory

Scrive "Baronov, David" <dbaronov@sjfc.edu>:

> I just came across a book first published in 1989 that might fit your
> needs. I plan to use it in future courses.  An Introduction to the
> World-Sytem Perspective by Thomas Shannon is obviously organized
> around World-Systems theory.  However, it does a very nice job of
> introducing the novice reader to basic issues/debates in modernization

> theory from which sprang world-systems.
>

> David Baronov
>
> Sociology Department
>
> St. John Fisher College
>
> Rochester, NY

There are at least three books that I would suggest. Alvin So's Social
Change and Development : Modernization, Dependency and World-System
Theories, that is very clear and schematic. Development and Social
Change : A Global Perspective by Philip McMichael and Modernization As
Ideology: American Social Science and "Nation- Building" in the Kennedy
Era (New Cold War History) -- by Michael E. Latham, which reconstructs
the history of modernization theory treating it, appropriately, as  a
geopolitical ideology.