Re: basic books on modernization theory
by ventrone
22 June 2003 23:20 UTC

Scrive "Baronov, David" <dbaronov@sjfc.edu>:

> I just came across a book first published in 1989 that might fit your
> needs.
> I plan to use it in future courses.  An Introduction to the World-Sytem
> Perspective by Thomas Shannon is obviously organized around World-Systems
> theory.  However, it does a very nice job of introducing the novice reader
> to basic issues/debates in modernization theory from which sprang
> world-systems.
>

> David Baronov
>
> Sociology Department
>
> St. John Fisher College
>
> Rochester, NY

There are at least three books that I would suggest. Alvin So's Social Change
and Development : Modernization, Dependency and World-System Theories, that is
very clear and schematic.
Development and Social Change : A Global Perspective
by Philip McMichael
and Modernization As Ideology: American Social Science and "Nation- Building"
in the Kennedy Era (New Cold War History) -- by Michael E. Latham, which
reconstructs the history of modernization theory treating it, appropriately, as
 a geopolitical ideology.