Re: Future of Europe (Tausch vs Derrida-Habermas)
by n0705590
20 June 2003 07:43 UTC

Derrida is not a pomo.  In fact, I would challenge anyone in this forum to
come up with a coherent definition of Pomo, as a set of parameters that would
characterise at least more than  one author.

And if you ask me what Postmodernism actually means, I must reply that it
means nothing at all, that the term is so meaningless it cannot be used to
actally 'label' people

>===== Original Message From Andre Gunder Frank <franka@fiu.edu> =====
> MY PREJUDICES are pro Taush and anti- Habermas & Derrida to begin with,
>and would not ordinarily trouble even to read Habermas.  I know him
>poersonally and had only the worst experiences with him - as my boss -
>and with Tuh only the best poersonally and otherwise. And as for
>Derrida, he comes marked by PO-MO. nough said
>agfrank
>On
>Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Gernot Koehler wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:08:42 +0200
>> From: Gernot Koehler <gktbg1@tiscali.de>
>> To: wsn@csf.colorado.edu
>> Subject: Future of Europe (Tausch vs Derrida-Habermas)
>>
>> Future of Europe (Tausch vs Derrida-Habermas)
>>
>> The views on the future of Europe expressed by Tausch, on the one hand, and
>> Derrida and Habermas, on the other, are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
>> However, the emphases are markedly different. Tausch, as an empirical
>> world-system sociologist, looks at socio-economic trends and finds that
>> Europe - rather than becoming a hegemonial leader, is stagnating and on the
>> path of becoming a banana republic (my expression). In contrast, Derrida
and
>> Habermas, as philosophers, dream  (nothing wrong with dreaming per se) of a
>> virtuous Europe and its potential good influence in the world along
>> liberal-pacifist lines. Both Tausch and Derrida-Habermas see dangers and
>> difficulties in the intra-European relationship between West (old EU) and
>> East (new members of EU), with the old West of Europe being in danger of
>> bullying and/or exploiting the East.
>>
>> HIGHLIGHTS:
>>
>> (1) Tausch writes:
>>
>> "Hypothesis 14: . . . Europe, with its huge state sector, its high tariff
>> walls against foreign competition, and its large scale penetration by
>> foreign capital, its slow process of technological innovation, is destined
>> to become the 'Argentina' of the 21st Century. Also its small future
>> population base and rigid migration regime do not qualify it for a rapid
>> 21st Century economic growth. There is a great risk that the European West
>> will treat the newly democratic East as a reservoir of surplus value and
>> exploitation."
>>
>> (2)Derrida and Habermas write [my translation]:
>>
>> (a) "There must be no separatism within the framework of the future
European

http://www.faz.net/s/Rub117C535CDF414415BB243B181B8B60AE/Doc~ECBE3F8FCE2D049
>> AE808A3C8DBD3B2763~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html
>>
>> Respectfully submitted with a disclaimer
>> (this short posting cannot do justice to the complex texts
>> by the cited authors, but has the purpose of highlighting their positions)
>>
>> Gernot Köhler, Ph.D.

>    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>               ANDRE    GUNDER      FRANK
>
>Senior Fellow                                      Residence
>World History Center                    One Longfellow Place
>Northeastern University                            Apt. 3411
>270 Holmes Hall                         Boston, MA 02114 USA
>Boston, MA 02115 USA                    Tel:    617-948 2315
>Tel: 617 - 373 4060                     Fax:    617-948 2316
>Web-page:csf.colorado.edu/agfrank/     e-mail:franka@fiu.edu

Damian Popolo
PhD candidate
Newcastle University