Resource-oriented perspectives on the USA-Iraq conflict
by Carl Nordlund
02 February 2003 22:57 UTC

Hi WSN:ers,

We are currently holding an introductory course in Global Environmental
Justice where we go through the global distribution of resources and risks.
It's quite rudimentary - first we have a look at the WCED/Brundtland stance
on growth and development, then we look at local and global environmental
justice movements, and then we frame the global debate in a neo-classical as
well as a world-systemic discourse.

Coincidally, we have previously decided on having Michael T. Klare's book
'Resource wars - the new landscape of global conflict" (2001/2002) so a
special theme on the escalating USA-Iraq conflict fits part and parcel with
our course. In this thematic study, we will try to analyse the argument in
question - is the conflict basically about USA wanting access to Iraq's
oil? - and we will encourage the students to follow current events with this
theme in mind and to search for articles and other pieces of opinion
regarding this.

So... I started off with the Business Weekly News analysis Alan posted here
recently, but I am always interested in finding other online material,
containing similar or opposite arguments, for the students to read.

Suggestions?

Yours,
Carl
-----