Re: so what?
by Threehegemons
02 February 2003 19:55 UTC

Some of the difficulties in this discussion come in efforts to evaluate a creed
as a whole.  All creeds include the orthodox, mystics, radicals, etc. who stake
out a variety of positions. I denounce modernity because I think we will need
to severely modify our thinking if we're going to move forward.  Of course,
having grown up in the modern world, much of the residue of modernity is
inescapable--just as European modernity was, however much it claimed to be a
break, continuous in some ways with Christianity.

Alan--I don't believe some sort of genetic 'will to power' is responsible for
the failures of Marxism in power.  And I recognize that capitalism constrained
what could be accomplished.  However, many crimes were committed by people
sincerely acting on their beliefs, and the way their beliefs encouraged those
crimes must also be recognized.

Khaldoun--Modernity has produced the greatest economic inequalities ever seen.
However, it is difficult to identify any other creed that has produced the
framework for the assertion of rights by practically any individual or group,
and even explicit efforts to defend the rights of some aspects of the non-human
world.  It is difficult to imagine slavery being revived as a legal category in
the modern framework.  This social egalitarian aspect of modernity needs to be
acknowledged before it can be transcended.

Steven Sherman