Re: gender and the world-system
by wwagar

        Gender inequality and the exploitation of women are topics not
only relevant to world-systems analysis:  they are topics of central
concern to such analysis.  Under modern global capitalism and every other
system of relations of production known to history, more surplus value is
routinely squeezed out of the labor of women than out of the labor of men,
and working men are routinely compensated for their troubles by the
advantages they enjoy over women, both tangible and intangible, making it
easier for the bosses to keep them in line.  In addition to pie in the
sky, there is--so to speak--real pie in the form of women's underrewarded
or entirely unrewarded labor and subservience to male power.  As in
"Angela's Ashes," Dad drank the money.

        Warren