Re: Political Dirty Tricks
by R. Stewart Ellis

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Alan Spector wrote:

> Let me publicly let Jose Orlando Castro Gomes and the entire list understand
> that I do not know anything about him and had no intention of slandering
> him. When I received the e-mail with his name, and his e-mail address as the
> sender, (which you can see below) I could only assume that it was sent by
>him. I have no way of
> "checking" to see if it was authentic.

When there is anything out of the ordinary about any email message,
everyone should turn on full headers to see where the mail actually
started.  Every single piece of information that you can see in the
normal headers is easily forged.  You have to see the full headers to
tell that, and it still may not be completely obvious where it came
from.

Any email program allows you to see the "real" headers that are
generated by the computers that handle the email along the way.

Once you know more about the origin of the email, then you report it
to the abuse user at your Internet service provider and the
originating one if you can figure it out.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Prof.of Appl.Socl. Informatics  Kettering University/
  Liberal Studies Dept.        ellis@kettering.edu  ()    ___________________