Re: gender and the world-system
by franka

The NEW WORLD HISTORY, edited by Ross Dunn, has a section  with half a
dozen essays on gender/relations. Alas, the authors have more than enough
trouble in rather unsuccessfully to my mind tryingto  genderize world
[system?]history. Surely, gender relations are an important part of world-
system history [and present!] and both genderizing world [system] history
and present AND world [system] historizing gender are as yet hardly
attmpted and certainly not fulfilled important tasks - and the same goes
for a world histopry of social movements or a social movement dimensio of
world [system] history and present, all the more so since we are likely to
learn that women have initiated, led, and participated far more in social
[alos protest and religious] movements than is 'normally' known, even by
women, who after all, as the saying goes, are approximately 1/2 the
population, do 3/4 of the work, and get 1/4 of the pay -- all the more
reason to be extra active in world/systemic/historica/present  social
protest movements. I second Jane Gray's motion if there should be, as
there should NOT be, any call for that.

on
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Jane Gray wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:33:29 +0000
> From: Jane Gray <Jane.gray@may.ie>
> To: wsn@csf.colorado.edu
> Subject: gender and the world-system
>
> For at least the second time mailings on this list have been objected to
> because they are about gender related issues.
>
> It's reasonable to object to the nature and content of messages, and of
> course to disagree with the author's argument or point of view.  But gender
> inequality and the exploitation of women are as relevant to world-systems
> analysis as the plight of Palestinians or the use of depleted uranium in
> Kosovo, or any of the other issues regularly brought to our attention on
> this list.
>
> Jane.

                 ANDRE  GUNDER  FRANK

         1601 SW  83rd Avenue, Miami, FL.  33155 USA
      Tel: 1-305-266  0311   Fax:  1-305  266 0799
                E-Mail :  franka@fiu.edu
   Web/Home Page:  http://csf.colorado.edu/archive/agfrank