< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Liberal WP and WS

by John_R_Groves

19 November 1999 06:29 UTC

Dear WSNers: just a note of clarification on the proposals for a liberal
wp. It
does not follow that a more moderate approach to a WP is a rejection of the
view
that the world system must be taken into account. What is rejected is the
view
that a worker's revolution with a Marxist ideology is the solution. The
call for
more creative proposals is a call for proposals that address the role of big
money and power. Aren't there ways of restricting the behavior of global
capitalism short of violent revolution? An effective world party would try
establish power centers in various countries that could help to enforce
policies
enacted by global institutions like the UN. The problem with the UN is that
it
has no teeth. If member countries wish to ignore, they often can. However,
if UN
actions/policies had the backing of a wp in the various member counties,
then
they might be effective. THink of how much more successful the Rio
environmental
summit would have been if Bush had had to deal with a powerful environmental
constituency back home. So the liberal wp acknowledges the existence of a
world
system; it is just that a different approach is called for.

The argument that this is simply not enough is utopian in my view if it
implies
that a world government is the only solution. Again, it isn't going to
happen,
and it wouldn't be a good thing anyway.

I am also struck by the fact that some on this list seemed to have missed a
great deal of recent history. The fall of the Berlin Wall and the
discrediting
of non-market approaches to the economy seem not to have registered with
some
people. Yes, we need to work on restricting the market, but the idea that
there
are non-totalitarian and effective non-market economic arrangements just
doesn't
seen plausible.

Randy Groves