< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Liberal WP and WS

by kpmoseley

19 November 1999 14:33 UTC

One way to look at non-violent/non-revolutionary change is in terms not
only of pressures from below but of changes in the behavior of capital
itself. The problem is how long it may take capital to enter into the
reforms and innovations that, at a previous moment, it had resisted. This
involves recognition of real changes in conditions (e.g. declining
returns to oil companies for new explorations; benefits to capital from
political regulation, world peace, Fordist policies towards labor, etc.)
as well as cosmetic changes/PR. Also the countervailing resistence
created by existing modes of investment.
However, it seems that capitalist self-reform is much more likely at the
(core) national level than globally (where benefits from unrestrained
exploitation of labor and environment is so great). Unfortunately,
prospects for revolution are inversely distributed, radical change (from
below) being much LESS likely at the core (where it could the most good).
This asymmetry may suggest why liberalism will remain an effective
formula for some time (despite reports of its imminent demise), and why
revolutions in the periphery seem increasingly beside the point.
(In this regard, the Starlife people have a point: the more reform
occurs, they write, " the more successful we are, the less people will be
motivated to join ideological protest movements, worker's revolutions and
the kind of World Party
pursued by you.")
Whether a WP could begin to tie up these loose ends...not clear. But at
least it might begin to help us present and conceive of problems on a
more global plane  (Kohler's notion of  a "new avant garde" fits in
here).     kpm