< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

A Global Coalition for World Democracy

by Troy Davis

12 November 1999 23:37 UTC

Dear friends,

there already seems to be an entity responding to the  wishes
expressed in this discussion.  It was launched as a coalition
in The Hague ion 14 may 1999 and is called the Global
Coalition World Democracy 2010.  I enclose its "Manifesto"
which is extremely short and concentrates on the
institutional side of building a new global architecture of
governance, as well as some signatories, minus the 50 or so
who just signed in Nairobi at the All-Africa Peace Conference
which i have not had the time to add yet in the last 2 days
since my return.

The main difference is that in spite of the fact it is now a
coaliiton of civil society (and of groups such as the ones
desired, ie greens, women, indigenous people, lesbians and
gays), but ALSO of local authorities and entrepreneurs, and
in the future of governments maybe as well.  The idea being
that is is NON-EXCLUSIONARY as long as people/organisations
sign on to the basic statement, and its 7 principles.   Why
automatically reject all companies/all governments ?  Why not
give them a chance to "change their stripes" ?  Because after
all, the true smart ones recognize the global situation is
NOT stable as is, and a world democracy based on world
citizenship is in everyone's interests, even their own.  The
alternative being ultimately a world police-state which is
incompatible with their own wish to open markets, make money
etc.

So we invite you to join this global coaliiton which is based
on world citizenship and is a loose yet coherent grouping
with secretariat so far by the World Citizen Foundation.
Surely, this coalition has a significant role to play in the
"ecology" of the different groups seeking world peace and
world unity, because it has achieved in a few months the tour
de force to break through the one-world ghetto, the peace
ghetto, the NGO ghetto and even the right-left and the
North-South divide !   But it is still fledlging and
under-financed.   Yet we have made a deal with a huge inernet
company that they would invest $200,000 to have so-called
World Polls on their new site.  We estimate we need a tenth,
ie $20,000 to prime the pump.  So any ideas for getting a
higher "philanthropic return on investment" ??  Donations are
welcome and tax-deductible in the USA.  In addition, the deal
foresees us getting back 50% of ad revenues.  So the $20,000
would probably be earned back very quickly.   This is using
the system to change it.   Why not ?  Should we eg forego the
internet (part of the system) becuase we do not agree to some
of the components of the system which made it possible ???
Same with phone, fax, cars, flights etc.   Let's stop being
hypocriticval and be praactical to change things.  At same
time, if we espouse clear unchangeable design principles form
the start, we can even have the luxury of being
incorruptible.

=====
Troy Davis, President
World Citizen Foundation/Fondation des Citoyens du Monde
Secretary, Global Coalition "World Democracy 2010"
Secrétaire, Coalition "Démocratie Mondiale 2010"