< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: A WP stuck in the past?

by Andrew Wayne Austin

12 November 1999 23:30 UTC

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Leith Duncan wrote:

>If capitalism is the enemy it will be met by what becomes an equally
>abhorent ideology. If corporates are the enemy they are not unified in a
>party! If greed and self-interest is the driver then the strongest
>opposition will have to come from within - again hearts and minds.

I am not advocating a "world party." However, I want to say a few things
with respect to these comments. First, if opposition always must take the
form of what it opposes and hence inevitably leads to evil then we are
truly helpless to do anything. Second, if, as the author of these remarks
notes, the enemy is not organized into a world party, then how can forming
a world party be mirroring the practice of the enemy? Third, change will
not succeed by hearts and minds alone, but will require organization and,
ultimately, forms of coercion.

Andy Austin