< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Chomsky on East Timor (9/10/99)

by Andrew Wayne Austin

12 September 1999 16:54 UTC

Chomsky is making a comparative proportional statement. He has made
similar ones in the past concerning Timor. For example, he has noted that
in comparable terms the proportion of the Timorese population exterminated
during the Indonesian invasion is higher than many other acts of mass
murder (for example, Cambodia during the same period). On this basis, he
has stated that the Timorese genocide was probably the worst act of mass
murder since the Holocaust. In the statement criticized below he clearly
says "the proportion of casualties," not total numbers. Chomsky typically
looks at the percentage of population affected by military action. Given
this, the 200,000 to 300,000 Timorese murdered in the late 1970s is a
gigantic numbers considering the total population of Timorese is small.
Likewise, 60,000 killed of the remaining Timorese in the latest campaign
is gigantic.

Andy Austin