< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Role of the Colonial Trade in the Industrialization of

by Ricardo Duchesne

07 September 1999 14:18 UTC

Elson wrote:

 > Western Europe could have become the monster it did without new world
> slaves, Indian-labor sugar, coffee, tobacco, gold, silver, cotton, and
> labor of the industrial working class everywhere it existed?  Could such an
> assertion, and "what if" statistics, stand up to the mounds of historical
> evidence that it could not have?  I think not.  Perhaps that is why few
> have bothered to respond to O'Brien on this list.

Elson, what mounds of historical evidence?? I rather based myself on the best
*available evidence* than on rhetorical arguments like yours  devoid of any
empirical content. I can assure you that no one here has responded to
my arguments because I have already forwarded enough evidence
which they know they cannot refute. It does not feel too good when
your deeply held (emotional) beliefs are proven wrong. I know you
would have felt better if people here had responded to me. But what
can I say, it is not my fault if they have nothing to say, though
they do complain when someone writes about biology; well, at least
that generated some discussion in this otherwise moribund list.

Still, just to round the discussion, I will post a few more comments
on this issue, which are really just draft notes on paper I am
writing. I must say that I do get, now and then, personal letters
welcoming my posts, including those to the world history list.