< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Role of Total Foreign Trade

by Ricardo Duchesne

07 September 1999 15:59 UTC

Last time I summarized some of  the basic arguments about the "vital"
role of total trade in the industrial revolution. Now, in addition to
the points already presented against the primary role of the colonial
trade, I would like to put forward the counter arguments, which show
that foreign trade was an important component of Britain's
industrialization, but not the "vital" sector.

If we consider the ratios of exports to gross national product for
the British economy over the 18th century, we have the following
numbers: the proportion of exports relative to GNP was
about 8.4% in 1700, growing  to 14.6% in 1760, falling to 9.4% in 1780
and then increasing to about 15.7% in 1801 (Engerman, 1994).

Now, there is indeed a rapid rise in the ratio of exports to GNP in
the period 1780 to 1800. Moreover, considering that most exports were
manufactured goods, the shares  of exports in industrial output were
above the shares of exports in national output. However, most of
these exports were textiles of cotton, wool and linen, which amounted
to almost 3/4 of  the value of exports around 1800, with cotton
textiles increasingly taking the lead. And cotton represented only 1% of
industrial production in 1770, and only 8% in 1815.

These stats would seem to say that removing the export trade, say in
1801, would have resulted in a lowering of the national income by 15.7%.
Yet, this arguments forgets that, if resources had not been used in the
foreign trade sector, they would have found employment elsewhere.
This is just a simple fact about the way the market operates;
every activity has a substitute (Thomas& McCloskey, 1981; Mokyr, 1985).
If they did  not export cotton - keeping in mind, too, that at lower prices
the home market would have consumed some of what was actualy exported -
the British could have engaged in another economic
activity, like paving new roads, constructing new buildings, or
making beer. As McCloskey reminds us, "exports are not the same thing as
new income. They are new markets, not new income" (1994).