< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Role of the Colonial Trade in the Industrialization of Europe

by Ricardo Duchesne

31 August 1999 20:24 UTC

The idea that the colonial trade was crucial to the industrialization
of Europe is (still) a commonly accepted claim  among world-system
followers - this, despite the significant statistical evidence
already put forward against this claim. One of the strongest,
empirical challenges goes back to O'Brien's article "European Economic
Development: The Contribution of the Periphery" (EHR 1982), an
well-known article which, notwithstanding Wallerstein's response to
it in the same journal (1983), still awaits a serious answer from ws
scholars.  Among the many claims of this article is the highly
damaging one that, if we agree with  Bairoch's data that commodity
trade between core and periphery amounted to no more than 4% of the
aggregate GNP for Western Europe, and if we assume that core
capitalists made such large profits as 50% on the trade turnover, and
that they re-invested as high as 50% of their profits, the colonial
profits re-invested would have amounted to only 1% og GNP, or 10% of
gross investment.