< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: The future of war: Globalism or Imperialism?

by mike shupp

30 August 1999 11:05 UTC

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, christopher chase-dunn wrote:

> because world war III would likely mean the end of life on Earth for
> quite a while, we need to think about realistic alternatives.  renewed
> interimperial rivalry  among core states based on military capabilities
> is a death sentence for us all. so the alternatives  are:
> 1. renewed US hegemony or
> 2. a global state formed around the UN.

What about a "semi-global state" formed by a maturing EEU allied with
selected African states and gradually expanding to incorporate former
regions of the old USSR?  Such an entity would not seem very strong at
present, but if fifty years or even twenty, things might be different.
(Does anyone have data on attitudes toward European unity as  a function
of age in modern Europe?)

   ms44278@huey.csun.edu
   Mike Shupp
   California State University, Northridge