< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

The future of war: OIL!

by Jay Hanson

26 August 1999 16:16 UTC

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Spectors

>Furthermore, while one can envision a possible world power
>alliance being carved out of various political-Islam
>nationalists from Libya to Iran to Afghanistan, Pakistan,
>and Indonesia, the reality is that there is great
>competition and hostility within that group as well.

According to Richard Duncan, by 2010 Muslim countries will control nearly
100% of the World’s petroleum exports.
His letter to President Clinton is archived at:  http://www.hubbertpeak.com/

Moreover, I see oil-producing countries patching-up their differences as
they consolidate their monopoly on the life's blood of capitalism (modern
capitalism can not exist without oil).  For example,

----------
STRATFOR's
Global Intelligence Update
May 4, 1999

Following his meeting with visiting Saudi Defense Minister Prince
Sultan bin Abd al Aziz al Saud, Iranian President Mohammad
Khatami said that there are no longer any outstanding differences
between Iran and Saudi Arabia.  This possible reconciliation
between Saudi Arabia and Iran has serious political, military,
and economic ramifications for the region.

----------
Global Intelligence Update
Red Alert
March 4, 1999

Venezuela Concedes Defeat in Battle for U.S. Oil Market Share

Venezuela has announced that it will not attempt to regain its
number one position in the battle with Saudi Arabia and Mexico
for U.S. crude oil market share.  As the struggle for market
share has hindered crude oil producers' collective attempts to
raise oil prices through production cuts, Venezuela's decision
may present an opportunity for such efforts to achieve greater
success.  In a reflection of its potential new strategy, an
increasing emphasis on downstream operations, Venezuela has
announced that it intends to purchase refineries sold to meet the
regulatory requirements of oil company mega-mergers.  Considering
Venezuela's current economic difficulties, it will no doubt be in
the market for financing as it seeks to increase its downstream
holdings.

----------
STRATFOR's
Global Intelligence Update
May 27, 1999

Chavez Denies Venezuelan Airspace to U.S. Counter-Drug Flights

Venezuela has refused a U.S. request to use its airspace for
counter-narcotics flights from bases in Aruba and Curacao.  This
could seriously hamper counter-narcotics missions based from
these two islands.  Venezuela justified its refusal based on an
argument of sovereignty, a legitimate argument but one that could
substantially affect the U.S. government's already leery attitude
toward Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Jay