< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Fw: human rights and national sovereignty/ is an oxymoron

by EDT

04 May 1999 02:15 UTC

In a message dated 5/3/99 10:41:32 PM, upf@upf.org writes:

<<  I'd be curious to know of at least one successful example of practical
>  implementation of this idea. It needs just a trifle - radical change of
human
> nature.

There have been many examples of anarchistic communities and groups. I was
involved with Food Not Bombs of San Francisco for 8 years. This group of all
volunteers operates successfully. Cooking and serving free vegetarian meals
to the homeless every night since 1988, even while being arrested over 3000
times for this activity. Christiana, a community of 5000 in Copenhagen has
survived gov't. attacks for almost 30 years successfully. There was a great
anarchist community in Spain that was crushed with the help of Hitler in
1939. There are many,many other examples. It could only work on a global
scale, if the groundwork is laid before the fall of civilization(euphemism
for barbarity) as we know it. Then, it would be possible to transform the
paradigm painlessly and quickly, once and for all. One must surmise that
everyone carries in their heart this dream.

As far as "human character", this is IMHO very unsophisticated to assume
human character is bad. Anyone knows that anyone can behave as a saint or a
devil and anything in between from moment to moment. Our current society
based on the narrow view in which all decisions are based on the "bottom
line", diminishes all that is of grace and beauty in our existence. The
result is a degraded world on every level that is not sustainable. Alienation
is the result, which leads to the dysfunctional behavior that you
characterize as the way humans are. Put humans under conditions that are
natural and fair, and you will see beautiful people.

						One Family,

						Tom O (bagelhole1)