< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: RE: Tom O (bagelhole1) posting

by EDT

04 May 1999 02:37 UTC

In a message dated 5/4/99 12:43:35 AM, zanmi002@tc.umn.edu writes:

<<While Tom O posits the merits of consensus as the basis for group decisions
the reality of consensus based decision making is that those in power get
to make the decisions.

Group think becomes the norm in consensus based organizational culture.
The decision belongs to the person that is first with an alternative, is
the loudest, slickest communicator, most connected, or most manipulative.

Come on Tom O -- you must have been in at least one decision making process
that to have a different idea was to not be a team player.

Consensus works well for people that are located at the center and feel
entitled to be listened to and agreed to.  What about those located on the
periphery?

Mary C. Zanmiller
zanmi002@tc.umn.edu

Mary C. Zanmiller>>

Mary, I went to weekly meetings for 8 years where consensus was used, IMHO,
quite successfully. Some of the points you raise can be a problem, but not as
a rule, in least in SF Food Not Bombs. But it can be tricky, I agree. I was a
part of consensus at the Nevada Peace Test protests a couple of years and I
was thoroughly impressed by how great it worked. Also, at Redwood Summer
Protests for the Headlands old growth, and at the Rainbow Gatherings.
Awesome, awesome, awesome was my experience. Once even, I was the facilitator
for an outdoor meeting in front  of City Hall  with about 100 people in the
circle consisting of homeless, derelicts, and activists. It was challenging
but it worked extremely well. Most people I know are very concious of your
concerns and do everything possible to give everyone a fair chance of
expressing themselves, also, individuals in the meeting are able to bring up
these concerns if they feel that the loudest or most manipulative are
dominating.

					In community,

					TomO (bagelhole1)

			<A