Re: A New World Religion
by John Till
16 December 2002 22:59 UTC

Harold Bloom makes a brief but rather suggestive comment on the revolutionary potential of a “new” gnosticism

in his book “Omens of the Millenium”. For more information on that book, see:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1573226297/qid=1040078694/sr=1-55/ref=sr_1_55/104-3628345-5499905?v=glance&s=books

And Bruce Feiler’s “Abraham: A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths” seems to be an intentional effort at community-building between the three world monotheisms.  See:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380977761/qid=1040078988/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-3628345-5499905

As to whether religion(s) can be a path to a new, more unified, peaceful, and just world order, I suppose that will depend at least in part on 1.) How successful “secularization” is over the next 50 years (it seems to be very much on retreat, which would seem to be a good thing for religion); 2.) Would such a religion would need to be universalist in some sense, or would multiple, local “peace and justice” faiths be just as effective an agent of change?; 3.) Whether conflicting “fundamentalisms” could reach some kind of Westphalian solution?

John Everett Till

Director of Family and Community Initiatives

Family & Children's Service -- Minneapolis

phone 612.728.2086  facsimile 612.729.2616

http://www.famchildserv.org/FCI/index.html