Re: A New World Religion
by Khaldoun Samman
16 December 2002 16:13 UTC

Jay Fennello and other religious reductionists,

I understand what you are saying.  I hear this cry for
interfaith dialogue all around me.  It's a comforting
position and I applaud your efforts.  But to think the
conflict is limited to mentalities and belief systems
is what I would ask you to reconsider.  Yes, the three
faiths all worship the same God, but a Palestinian is
not permitted to share a tank or F-16 Fighter, nor is
there an Arab army in Israel bulldozing the home of
Israelis. And, there is no "Islamic" military base
surrounding the US homeland protecting "Muslim"
industries and "Muslim" intersts.  The problem we face
today is the problem of global structural inequity,
and violence is a systemic problem, not simply a
religious one.  Don't get me wrong, it's always a good
idea to ask people to respect each other, but
sometimes we have to go a little further and force the
neighborhood's bully to stop beating our children and
humiliating our families and stealing and demolishing
our homes so that finally we can begin the healing
process.

Khaldoun