intervention from Las Casas to Wallerstein
by Boris Stremlin
18 December 2002 06:46 UTC

Food for thought for the self-proclaimed "responsible left" (and its
allies on the "stupid right").

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

   Fernand Braudel Center, Binghamton University

http://fbc.binghamton.edu/commentr.htm

Commentary No. 103 - Dec. 15, 2002

"The Politics of Multilateralism"

As we know, the Bush administration has been divided between what we may call
the "unilateralists" (presumably led by Rumsfeld and Cheney) and the
"multilateralists" (presumably led by Colin Powell). We now know that
immediately on Sept. 12, 2001, Rumsfeld recommended war on Iraq as a response
to the Al-Qaeda attacks. Of course, he and Cheney had been signatories in 2000
before they took office of a document calling for the overthrow of Saddam
Hussein. These people not only wished to end Iraq's possession of weapons of
mass destruction but also change the regime and indeed occupy the country.
Furthermore, they wished on principle to do this unilaterally, without asking
anyone's permission.

As we also know, they ran into a lot of political objection from important
sources - the Secretary of State, the so-called "old Bushies" (close to the
President's father), Tony Blair, and some Republican Senators. All of them
argued that the same objective could be achieved via "multilateral" action, and
without the negative political fallout in which a "unilateral" action would
result. This led to the multilateral resolutions - one in the U.S. Congress and
one in the U.N. Security Council. Both resolutions gave the Bush administration
a green light for what they wanted to do, with some minor amendments and the
delay inherent in sending back the inspectors. But what the Bush administration
lost in slight delay they more than gained in greater legitimation in the eyes
of the "multilateralists" around the world.

Multilateralism is the fig leaf that has made it possible for all sorts of
"centrist" forces to say that they agreed with the objective - ending Iraq's
ability to employ weapons of mass destruction - without endorsing actions by
the U.S. that were "unilateral." But is multilateral action to achieve the same
end really better? What this sleight of hand has done is to eliminate any real
discussion of the legitimacy of the objective in the first place. Why should
the five permanent members of the Security Council - the U.S., Great Britain,
France, Russia, and China - have the political and moral right to stock (and
use) weapons of mass destruction but other presumably sovereign states not have
this right?

If you press the question, the answer inevitably comes down to a moral
judgment. The big five can be "trusted" with such weapons, which they would
only use defensively. Other countries, particularly if they have regimes that
are dictatorial and have foreign policies hostile to the United States, cannot
be "trusted." Myself, I don't trust any government, and I mean any government,
not to use such weapons if they thought it in their national interest to do so
(which might mean just their national survival, but might also mean simply
maintaining their overall standard of living).

The moral distinction between the trustworthy and the untrustworthy has been
around throughout the history of the modern world-system. And it has always
justified a doctrine of "interventionism" in which the "civilized" tame the
barbarians. If one goes back to the sixteenth century, we have the famous
debate between Las Casas, the Bishop of Chiapas, and Sep&uacute;lveda as to the
moral rights of the Spaniards in their treatment of the Indians. One of
Sep&uacute;lveda's key arguments was that the Spaniards had to intervene
(militarily and religiously) in order to save innocent lives, which he believed
were threatened by the barbaric practices of the Indians. The answer of Las
Casas to this argument was that one could intervene to save human lives only if
the process of saving them does not cause greater harm. And there we have the
debate to this day.

In the nineteenth century, all sorts of European theoreticians justified the
imposition of colonial rule in Asia and Africa on the grounds that they were
thereby ending barbaric practices (for example, slavery, which these same
Europeans had been practicing up to a short time before; or alleged
cannibalism; or suttee in India). In the 1930's, the United States was split
between the "isolationists" and the "interventionists" who were those who
wished to join actively in the fight against the Nazis. In the period after
1945, there were many who wished to "liberate" countries from Communist rule,
others who wished to support liberation movements against colonial or racist
powers, and most recently those who wished to intervene - in the Balkans, in
Africa - to prevent "genocides."

I have run the gamut of varieties of interventionism to indicate that the moral
issues are not simple ones. We all believe in interventionism in some instances
and fight it in others. The modern world-system is however based on an anomaly.
It enshrines on the one hand the so-called sovereign rights of all states,
which logically and legally define all outside interventions as aggression and
illegitimate but on the other hand an implicit natural law argument that there
exist overriding moral values underlying the world-system (which these days we
are calling human rights), and those who violate these values have no right to
remain in power anywhere.

How then do we deal with this anomaly? Well, we can deal with it as a
moral-philosophical problem to be debated. Or we can make clear judgments which
imply real action in the political arena. In fact, not too many people spend
time discussing the moral-political dilemmas. And the people who make clear
judgments only matter if they have the power to carry them out. So, when these
clear judgments are made by the Bush administration, they do what they are
doing. And when these clear judgments are made by people in less powerful
structures, these people are usually condemned to do nothing, or at most to
engage in trying to sabotage the actions of the powerful.

But the Las Casas principle - intervention to save lives is only justified if
it doesn't cause more damage than it prevents - is a good guide to legitimate
action in the world arena. And those that are supporting "multilateral" action
to end what they perceive as the risk to human lives incarnated by Saddam
Hussein's continuing to be in power and to have weapons of mass destruction
ought to be asking themselves whether the "multilateral" action they are
recommending meets the Las Casas standard. This is a moral and political
decision that has to be based on a close reading of the present situation and
the probable consequences of an invasion of Iraq.

When Tony Blair says, as he did a year ago or so, that inaction is not an
option, one has to ask, and ask very seriously, why not?

by Immanuel Wallerstein

Immanuel Wallerstein

[Copyright by Immanuel Wallerstein. All rights reserved. Permission is granted
to download, forward electronically or e-mail to others and to post this text
on non-commercial community Internet sites, provided the essay remains intact
and the copyright note is displayed. To translate this text, publish it in
printed and/or other forms, including commercial Internet sites and excerpts,
contact the author at iwaller@binghamton.edu; fax: 1-607-777-4315.

These commentaries, published twice monthly, are intended to be reflections on
the contemporary world scene, as seen from the perspective not of the immediate
headlines but of the long term.]