Re: Do Systems = Structures?
by francesco ranci
16 December 2002 10:27 UTC

From my point of view, the “empirical” status of
anything depends upon referring it to a paradigm. It
is probably true that for an Eskimo there are kinds of
“snow” that we do not see (unless we are taught to).
The idea of a “process”, is more akin to the meaning
of “system” then of “structure”,  allowing us to use a
word like “systematic”. When finding “recurring and
integrated processes”, you can maybe label them as
“systematic processes”, or “systemic characteristics”
or “structural features”, according to how stable such
patterns are. Processes that do not fit well, remain
to be explained. It took a while before all planets
(but one, actually) fit in Newton’s theory. Darwin’s
theory is still under discussion in its basic concepts
and it shows many anomalies anyway. Social science is
much more difficoult to develop, no doubts about it
even though Weber seems to think otherwise. I disagree
with Hegel and Marx’s concept of contradiction as the
“engine” (so to speak) of historical change. I rather
see that “engine” in new combinations of old ideas.
Einstein’s concept of “Time Space” is another name for
the philosophical “Reality”, that we have no way to
“know” because it is already assumed that the way “it
is” has nothing to do with the way “we see it”.