Re: Do Systems = Structures?
by Elson Boles
10 December 2002 22:31 UTC

I think "systemic," analysis, as opposed to "systematic," is the more
accurate term to describe "world-systems" or "historical systems"
analysis.  (Systematic analysis may or may not make for good analysis of
systemic processes!)

The conception of "structures" in Wallerstein's work is another way of
referring to the processes of a "system" which are what define any
system as "systemic."

Systems are formed of structures (structural processes): patterns,
cycles, trends and historical developments that have empirically
measurable regularity.  Structures are thus the recurring and integrated
processes that define a "system" as such.  But systems are also
historical, in part, because the regularities change over time and place
(TimeSpace) due to the contradictions among the systemic processes
(among the regularities).  Consequently systems have an eventual end or
demise in TimeSpace.