Re: Anglo-German competition for Zionist support in WWI
by Threehegemons
23 October 2002 04:12 UTC

On the subject John Leonard originally inquired about:  I don't have David
Lloyd George's autobiography, but that quote looks a lot like stuff in Tom
Segev's "One Palestine Complete".  He argues that the British supported the
Zionists because they feared Jewish power.  The Israeli journalist Israel
Shamir, whose maybe a little nuts, argues that they in fact had reason to fear
the financial power of Jewish elites.  He claims that the British, Russians,
and eventually Americans all sought to get world jewry on their side, with
disastrous results each time.  I was looking for the article where he makes
this argument on his website, but unfortunately all his articles have poetic
names, so its difficult to figure out what is about what.  Poke around at:
http://www.israelshamir.net/

Steven Sherman