Re: reference suggestion -- 2nd try
by francesco ranci
03 May 2002 08:59 UTC

I agree on having undergrads read and evaluate "the
classics", such as Malthus, Marx and Engels, Max Weber
(good reader by Stanislav Andreski), Mosca/Pareto on
the circulation of the elites, Simmel on money, and
Fleck/Kuhn on (scientific) communities... even Desmond
Morris and many others can help if you start from the
consequences of the process. The forgotten Ferrero
with his trilogy on "Power" may still delight many, I
believe - but that's more about Europe than the rest
of the world, i.e. how England came to the fore).

They can always catch up with recent literature later,
if they want to become experts in the field.

They already have a general idea of the world trends,
and I would start from that. Why not asking them to
write something on such subjects (based on their
knowledge at the beginning of the course) and then
work on the results ?

Best regards,
Francesco Ranci