Re: dialogue of civilizations?
by francesco ranci
03 May 2002 10:45 UTC

Civilization has more to do with rules, and culture
with values. (The city has often being a site of
discussion about rules - whence, maybe, the
ethimological root remains somehow alive).

Cultures and civilizations are more consistent than
individuals; i.e. you find a catholic church at a
walking distance from almost every house in Italy, but
they are different from each others in style; you
always find a priest there, but he is not aways
sexually abusing children (as far as we know,
otherwise we would have to consider pedophilia as a
new characteristics of catholic culture).

Individual identity is just as "fictious" (a useful
fiction, however) as are collective and physical
identity. After writing this message, I am somehow
changed as an individual. And more than the "wsn"
collective entity of readers will be changed. And more
than my keybord or chair will be after I'm done.

Best Regards,
Francesco