Re: CMP
by Carl H.A. Dassbach

I did not want to continue on the CMP but given Mike Alexander's comments, I
have the following observations.

Capitalism is not, as Alexander asserts, simply another manifestation of
human greed.  In fact, the belief that humans are inherently greedy or have,
as Smith tells us,  the  natural propensity to "trade, barter and truck" is
simply a product and consequence of capitalism.  To see these as eternal and
innate characteristics of human beings is a serious error.  These are
learned not innate and when societies are reconstituted on a basis other
than the ruthless pursuit of self interest/wealth, these traits will vanish
and humans will no longer see them "inherent."

Capitalism, in other words, is not rooted in innate human nature.  It is a
historically specific phenomena only possible under a definite series of
social conditions ( see, for example, Marx's "Wage labor and Capital").
However, Capitalism and the capitalist mode of production (CMP) are not
identical - it is possible to have capitalism without the CMP.  On the other
hand, Capitalism is a necessary precondition of the CMP.  We can distinguish
between them in several ways.  For example, Capitalism is a "regime" of
absolute surplus value while the CMP is a "regime" of relative surplus,
under Capitalism, the subsumption of labor to capital is only formal, under
the CMP, the subsumption is real, etc. etc.

In a nutshell, I reject both the assertion that Capitalism or the CMP never
existed (Frank) and the assertion that capitalism, as merely another
manifestation of greed,  always existed (Alexander).

Carl H.A.  Dassbach

Dept. of Social Sciences
Michigan Tech. Univ.
Houghton,  MI  49931