Re: CMP
by Louis Proyect

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:13:48 -0500, Mike Alexander wrote:
>   There is much discussion about how
>capitalism arose in the 15th  century.
>
>Wouldn't the 12th century Spanish shoemaker
>Jofre  Isaac be a capitalist?
>
>My understanding of capitalism is it arose from
>the earlier feudal society  through the
>monetization of the economy.

Money existed back in the time of Plato. It only becomes crucial when
commodity production becomes generalized. In 12th century Spain (and
the rest of Europe), the economy was characterized by what Marxists
call the production of use values. Kautsky called it the "natural
economy". For an extensive discussion of how it worked, see Marc
Bloch's books on feudalism. Within the feudal estate, food and other
necessities were produced for internal consumption. The lord
extracted a surplus which could be exchanged for luxury items. In the
city, the economy was not as dominated by such social relations but
there is no scholarly consensus on how capitalism might have emerged
in the cities, as opposed to the countryside. My own view is that
artisans such as Jofre Isaac would have had more freedom in the
cities and could have evolved into early manufacturers, providing
tools, raw materials, etc. to other artisans. They were a nascent
bourgeoisie who came to the fore soon after the New World was invaded
and cheap raw materials poured into European cities.

--
Louis Proyect, lnp3@panix.com on 03/27/2002

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org