Re: Gills Response: RE: Frank as a world-systemist?
by Elson Boles

Dear Barry,

Thank you very much for your gracious response.  I appreciate that you've
taken the time to engage.

It is not my intention to understate the differences of your and
Wallerstein's theories, but it seems that your intention is to stress those
differences.  I happen to agree that the theoretical differences are
significant and raise important questions about social science.  But my
point here is to highlight the similarity of your and Wallerstein's method
in the context of the nomothetic-idiographic spectrum and the debate among
you, Frank, and Wallerstein.  In particular, I'm interested in addressing
"false" critiques and problems.

Your consideration of the need to possibly retract your reference to
world-systems in the Americas, and the implication that there was a large
and old world system in the Americas for a (unspecified) period of time (as
opposed to seeing mini-systems, world-empires, and world-economies), would
seem at first blush to address the issue I raise.  However, this is to
conflate a theoretical issue with a methodological issue.  You see the
"Central World System" (a term from Chase-Dunn that you and Frank, not
Wilkinson, use twice with reference to your World System) as older and
larger than Wallerstein's world-system.  Therefore, it is necessarily the
case that Wallerstein's world-empires and world-economies (world-systems)
are merely "parts" of your larger system.  To then conclude that the two of
you have different methodological units of analysis (as opposed different
units of observation) is to is to (mis)represent a conflict of theory (which
exists) as a significant conflict of method.

In the context of the nomothetic-idiographic spectrum, you and Wallerstein
alike effectively claim to take a "via media" position: that world history
is the history of social systems.  Both you and Wallerstein see more than
one system in history at different times and places.  This is why
Wallerstein's criticism that your unit of analysis is timeless and spaceless
is incorrect (though your position may fall within the category of a
"temptation" if by that we mean something less than universal laws of
history but more than many world-systems).  Either way, you both claim to or
implicitly eschew the "nomothetic" position.  Further, I suspect that if you
and Frank were to reach back in history to hominids anywhere, at some point
in that journey back you would probably agree there were smaller world
systems analogous to mini-systems or states.

Thus, by focusing on the differences between your theories of the social
system we live in today, you miss the underlying methodological similarity
of your positions (at least by your own arguments).  In this respect, the
hyphen only delineates a different size and age (theory) of the system we
live in today.  It does not represent different method, but a different
theory about the history of the area of Eurasia.  Outside of Eurasia, both
of you operate by the same method: you all agree that social systems are the
proper units of historical analysis.

Best,
Elson