Re: Gills Response: RE: Frank as a world-systemist?
by nbkg

Dear Elson,
     Thank you very much for your timely rejoinder to my reply to your views.
Let me respond. Yes, it is correct that our world system is both older and
larger than that proposed by Wallerstein. In this regard, we do posit a very
different Timespace interpretation of the world system than in Wallerstein's
theory. As for your contention that myself and Frank would regard
world-systems as the 'best' unit of analysis, I am afraid there is a
misunderstanding at work here. We are not in complete agreement about this
issue in my view. On the contrary, it was because we could not really accept
all the elements of Wallerstein's world-system unit of analysis that we joined
together to formulate
a new theory and a new approach to world system history. When you contend that
there is no contradiction between world-empire; world-economy, mini-system
triolgy in world-system theory and the Gills and Frank argument, you are
certainly mistaken. In particular, we disagree with the argument on
world-empires and their purported role in relation to his world-systems, and
to our 'world system' moreso. Moreover, it is not correct to conflate our
world system with the ideas of our friend and colleague david Wilkinson on the
'Central World System'. We have been working with Wilkinson for some 12 years
since he and I were the co-founders of the World Historical Systems theory
group in the International Studies Association. Wilkinson's criteria for
systematicity are primarily realist in nature- i.e. political and military
interaction are more important for him than participation in mutual capital
accumulation processes. He does however recognise these processes.  So please
do not conflate or confuse the Frank and Gills 'world system' with Wilkinson's
 'Central civilisation' idea. Wallerstein's modern world-system idea and our
world system idea are not 'exactly the same' at all. Yes we do both include a
division of labour  and we emphasise even moreso the role of 'capital
accumulation' from several millennia ago to the present as a key process of
the world system that developed in Afro-Eurasia. Yes we have once commented
that in the Americas prior to 1492 there were probably some 'world-systems'.
Perhaps we should retract the hyphen now- and regard it as an oversight at the
time, or just a tentative statement. We did not mean that we thought that in
the Americas before 1492 we would simply be content to apply a Wallersteinian
'triology' approach of world-economy; world-empire; and mini-systems to all
the complexities of world histiorical systems in the Americas
prior to 1492. We would probably want to use the very same approach we used to
examine world system history in Afro-Eurasia.  Our unit of analysis is netiher
timeless nor spaceless of course- but rather encompasses over 5000 years of
real world economic, social, political, ideological and cultural history. This
is certainly not a matter of a mere modification of jargon.
Finally, I have spent several years developing a further theory and analytical
framework for investigation of the dialectic of forms in world history, or
''global history' between 'capital' and 'oikos' forms, and between 'free' and
'unfree' labour forms. This work is scheduled to appear in the not too distant
future in the Journal of World History, edited by Jerry Bentley, and a version
of it is available now from Cambridge University Press in the book recently
out edited by Hobson and Hobden as I previously indicated.

I look forward to further discussions, especially concerning new directions in
the on-going research on the history of the world and ideas that may take us
to new understandings.

 Yous faithfully,
 Barry K Gills