Re: The Decolonization of Europe and Japan?
by Elson Boles
20 February 2002 20:06 UTC

Steve -

The subject heading of this email, to which I reply, is problematic.  First,
by US "colonization," I refer to US troops, advisors, permanent military
installations, etc. which occupy not only Europe and Japan, but also
numerous semiperipheral and semiperipheral states, and which patrol
international waters.  My reference to a Europe-Japan (China) call for US
"de-colonization" refers to the "retreat" or partial withdrawal of those
troops, installations, and activities.  I didn't have their removal from
Europe or Japan primarily in mind, as those US forces are not the acting
agents in the US racket.  Rather, I had in mind US troops in other places.
It should be pointed out that Europe and Japan would not be alone in seeking
US withdrawal.  In fact, other weak states have already done so, including
the Philippines.

Obviously Europe and Japan are not colonies, but they are occupied.  I
agree, and made a point of noting, that there will be (already is)
ambivalence about calling for US de-colonization or withdrawal.  Some
factions oppose because US troops do provide protection.  A strong military
presence that all can agree upon creates stability.  However, other
factions, often nationalistic forces, want to protect themselves and reduce
US political influence in their state and abroad.  And it seems that in the
coming years, as the US racket stirs up more trouble than it keeps peace,
the costs of the "partnership" under the US military umbrella will exceed
the benefits.  This is my prediction.  I think there are signs that some
core factions are thinking along these lines today, both in Japan and
Germany.

US "de-colonization" by Europe, Japan, and others would be comparable to the
earlier US call for European de-colonization insofar as it would weaken US
power and enhance the power of others, just as European de-colonization
weakened European power and enhanced US power.  That's where the analogy
ends for my purposes.

As for the semiperiphery and periphery, I didn't address their prospects.
There is no doubt that within a capitalist world-empire, some areas will
gain in power (econo-politico-cultural), and China is a top candidate.
China is also among those wishing to see a retreat of US forces in its
regional sphere of action.  It is conceivable that China would become a
major force to uphold a neoliberal Empire as envisioned by the liberal
European-Japan core.  Regionally, Japan would likely follow a China call for
US withdrawal, but for different geo-political reasons.  As argued, I
suspect, the costs of US protection will exceed its benefits for Japan.
Also Japan's military forces are currently quite capable in the region and
the majority of Japanese is not opposed to Japan raising the hinomaru and
maintaining a strong "national defense."  Japan's recently popular Prime
Minister was indeed pushing through legislature to change the title and
purpose of Japan's military forces.  Thus, contrary to your perception, I am
in agreement with Arrighi, among others, on Asia's ascent.

- Elson