Re: military superiority; moral inferiority
by Louis Proyect
26 December 2001 22:44 UTC

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:03:41 -0500 (EST), wwagar@binghamton.edu
wrote:

>    I don't know about thousands of years, or even
>whether the term "racism" (as understood today)
>applies, but there was the Roman Empire, which
>did not always treat the barbarians of the North
>with kid gloves;

We should be careful not to project the evils of Western Imperialism
onto societies that operated by other laws entirely. I have seen this
done repeatedly and in bad faith with respect to indigenous
Americans, who are painted as "just as bad" as the colonizers. There
are constant reminders about Incan human sacrifices, Anasazi
cannibalism, North American Indian bison stampedes over cliffs, ad
nauseum. All presented in a manner to justify the exterminationist
policies of the Europeans.

The young man who made the stupid jibe about "Bad Americans" led us
astray from the point being made. For the past 200 years Western
Europe and the United States have used technical-military superiority
to impose regimes of theft and torture on the colonial world. It is
pointless to dwell on the Huns, et al unless we are interested in a
kind of Viconian meditation on the human race delivered from Olympian
heights. We want to disarm the imperialists, not philosophize about
them.

--
Louis Proyect, lnp3@panix.com on 12/26/2001

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org