Re: military superiority; moral inferiority
by wwagar
27 December 2001 00:13 UTC

Louis and all,

        I never said one word in defense of Western imperialism.  I was
just responding to Jane's observation that people of northern European
origins had never been underdogs.  But the minute we abolish history and
philosophy to subordinate all thought to the just struggle against Western
imperialism and the Pax Americana and the predations of capitalism is the
minute that we allow ourselves to become as false and inhumane as the
imperialists and the capitalists.  I do not read the reflections on
history of Marx and Engels as an apologia for the past conduct of
"civilized" Homo sapiens, and neither should you.  "Civilization" has
been, for all its finer achievements, a moral disaster from the get-go.
Demonizing this or that particular race or faith or culture does not help.

        Warren