Re: Roots of contemporary sexism
by Shahijm2
11 November 2001 23:18 UTC

In a message dated 11/11/01 2:23:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Threehegemons@aol.com writes:

<< In the last few days we've seen a number of accounts as to why intense
gender
 inequality exists in Afghanistan.  Among the reasons I recall:  decline in
 traditional masculine occupations (an explanation that may have more
 relevance in other parts of the world), men spending their lives in
religious
 schools or armies, rebellion against the Soviet-backed government (an
 explanation that may have relevance elsewhere as well, not only in formerly
 Communist states, but also in the US, where the right to abortion is seen by
 its foes as the epitome of the imperial nature of the federal government),
 cultural structures that predate the modern world, colonialism, etc, and
 perhaps, metaphorically, a parallel with earlier persecutions of women that
 were connected to capitalist transformations.

 I'm not sure why a number of these factors, in combination, might not be at
 work.

I would like to add one thing more to the list above:  Some cultures are very
protective of their women.  It might look like oppression to an outsider.
Women are the transmission belts of a culture.  They are the ones primarily
involved with imprinting cultural mores on young children, passing down
customs, traditions, etc.  When a culture feels threatened from outside
influences, I suggest that they clamp down on their women because they are
afraid of losing their culture.  (sorry - no historical evidence for this,
only my own observation.)
Jane Shahi