Roots of contemporary sexism
by Threehegemons
11 November 2001 22:23 UTC

In the last few days we've seen a number of accounts as to why intense gender
inequality exists in Afghanistan.  Among the reasons I recall:  decline in
traditional masculine occupations (an explanation that may have more
relevance in other parts of the world), men spending their lives in religious
schools or armies, rebellion against the Soviet-backed government (an
explanation that may have relevance elsewhere as well, not only in formerly
Communist states, but also in the US, where the right to abortion is seen by
its foes as the epitome of the imperial nature of the federal government),
cultural structures that predate the modern world, colonialism, etc, and
perhaps, metaphorically, a parallel with earlier persecutions of women that
were connected to capitalist transformations.

I'm not sure why a number of these factors, in combination, might not be at
work.

Steven Sherman