Re: Roots of contemporary sexism
by wwagar
12 November 2001 03:22 UTC

        Jane Shahi makes a valid point.  Conserving culture is difficult
if not impossible without homes in which mothers and fathers pass on
values and mores to their young children;  and in this process, mothers
are generally much more active than fathers.  The more a culture is
challenged by alien influences, the greater its need for unquestioning
(and preferably sequestered) mothers.

        But is it not true that since the beginnings of civilization,
patriarchy has been the dominant mode of gender relations everywhere?  Am
I saying something deeply controversial?  Civilization = patriarchy.  The
exploitation of the poor has everywhere been accompanied by the
sexploitation of the undersex, women.  Surplus value has been sweated from
the many by the few, and from women by men.  The less agency granted to
women, the easier it has been to keep them down and to take advantage of
their services in home, nursery, field, and factory.  One of those many
services is the acculturation of young children in the values and mores of
the male-dictated society, including an unexamined acceptance of
traditional gender roles.

        The culture of the Taliban is, to my way of thinking, one of
the most odious and reactionary examples of how sexism penetrates
"civilized" life, but there is plenty of sexism to go around in the United
States and other "advanced" societies.  Whatever the Taliban may think,
Western societies have only begun the long march to gender equality.

        Warren