Re: Immanuel Wallerstein in the world press
by Louis Proyect
21 June 2001 02:29 UTC

This list is such a strange place. I first subbed shortly before the war in
Yugoslavia began. I sent out reports from the bourgeois press as I was
doing on other putatively leftwing lists. After a couple of days a
political science professor, who had contributed to Chase-Dunn's journal
wrote me private mail telling me to "stop bombing" him. I looked at his CV
and it turned out that he had done research in Latin America funded by the
Rockefeller Foundation. And this is a discipline that was inspired by Karl
Marx? Could you imagine John D. Rockefeller funding Eugene V. Debs? Anyhow,
to me world systems means Arrighi, Amin, Wallerstein et al. It is very
useful to me to have this information available since I have been in a
battle on my own mailing list and on PEN-L defending a world systems
approach to the origins of capitalism in opposition to Brenner and Wood.
The gentleman who complained about these posts--I can't imagine what
motivates him. What possible use could he get out of this list except
communications of that sort. I never will understand academia.

At 09:30 AM 6/21/01 +0800, kjkhoo@pop.jaring.my wrote:
>Arno,
>
>Let me dissent from this view. I doubt if much of this stuff is
>available online without a subscription to a search service. That's
>fine, if one has access to a rich country university library with
>subscriptions left and right. Not so fine if one doesn't -- and
>subscriptions to some of these online services are extremely costly,
>while print journal sub costs keep climbing.
>
>So thanks, Arno, for these postings.
>
>kj khoo
>
>At 8:15 PM -0400 20/6/01, R. Stewart Ellis wrote:
>>On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Tausch, Arno wrote:
>>
>>Please quit sending huge postings to the whole list.  Just post the
>>URL or an FTP site where interested people can look them up.  Abstract
>>them if you think the titles are not obvious enough.  Just quit
>>spamming the list with your huge postings.
>>
>>>  Since there were 99 articles over the last 10 years in the Reuters
archive
>>>  (with a real flood of articles after 1999) I really had to perform a
>>>  selection and take only articles dealing with Wallerstein and 'world
system'
>>>  (any variations). From the 23 chosen articles I finally selected these
>>>  following
>>>
>>>  Enjoy the reading
>>>
>>>  Arno Tausch

>>   R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Prof.of Appl.Socl. Informatics  Kettering
University/