Some further comments about the list
by Daniel Pinéu

Dear fellow members,

Apparently there was some problem with my unsubscribe email, so i am still
on the list. And this, i now think, has proved fortunate indeed.

I was very glad to see how many people responded to my first comments on
this list`s (poor) functioning. So, at least that objective - having people
thinking and discussing about the shortcomings of this list - was achieved.

I was also pleasently surprised at the considerable ammount of people who,
in some way, shared my views on some of the problems that afflict the
community.

This fact, coupled with a couple of privately sent emails from a few
colleagues urging me to stay, made me realize that unsubscribing would be
the easiest but also the wrong option.

I hope that everybody bears with me in this effort to increase the quality
(if not the quantity) of the postings by fellow members, and their academic
pertinence.

So, to those people who wrote to me and the list sharing my intention of
unsubscribing (and this goes especially to A.G. Frank), i can only ask not
to do it,and instead try to provide some active solution to the problem.
Which is what i will also try to do, as soon as i get some free time from
some rather pressing academic business.

I would like to thank our colleague Arno Tausch for the profile of our list
he recently posted. It is a document who should give everybody pause for
thought, as it shows how some core (world-systems related) issues are so
scarcely treated, and how so many other marginalia are so abundantly
considered in the list.

And, if your patience still allows me, i would like to present some further
suggestions/thoughts for the future functioning of our list. Personally, i
do not agree with the "one day, one posting" system, as i think it is far
too restrictive. I rather believe that each member of this community should
have the intellectual discernment of judging what is truly important to
post.

However, I do think that introducing moderators to the list would produce
some good results in improving its contents and working.

Finally, i would like to state very clearly that it was not (and still
isn`t) my intention to inhibit anybody from posting what they thing is
important to share with all the fellow members. Neither do i feel that
RELEVANT and UNBIASED information on such issues as human rights or ecology
are out of place or purpose. Nonetheless, these shouldn`t exceed or stifle
the academic and intellectual contributions dealing with sustantive issues
of Worl-Systems theory. After all,that is -i guess - the whole purpose of
this list. I know that hitting the delete button is not very difficult, but
i expect people to share with me the opinion that when you are deleting much
more than you are reading/keeping, something is wrong with the general
contents of the list.

Well, I will be waiting for the reaction of my peers in the list. All
comments, either publicly or privately posted are more than welcome,
especially if they contribute actively for the (needed) reform of the list
functioning. Once again,thank you for your attention.

Yours

Daniel Pinéu