Re: Some further comments about the list
by Judi Kessler

Dear Daniel,
I appreciate your thoughful comments. I agree with you wholeheartedly that
this list suffers considerably from lack of moderation. I have come within
a hair's breadth of unsubscribing on a number of occasions, as was the
case with you.
I supported the one-post-a-day solution, but your suggestion of a
moderator (a *strong* moderator) sounds much better. Some examples of
where a moderator might have intervened on this particular listserver:
1) Just for "fun," I kept track of the demography of the posts over a
3-day period - over 75% of the WSN posts were from only 3 individuals.
As much as we value their contributions, these folks might be reminded to
curb the number of posts per day.
2) The individual who sent the post in upper-case profanity yesterday
could be removed from the list.
3) Conversants engaged in lengthy private debates could be reminded to
take them off the listserver.
Problem: who would be willing to take the responsibility, and how would
this individual be selected? Chris Chase-Dunn, as I understand it, still
maintains the list. Perhaps he could offer some suggestions.
Best,
Judi Kessler
UC San Diego