Re: Decentralization & Hierarchy
by Jacques Eglise

Hi,

This is my first post to the list though I've been a lurker for several
months.

There is something I need clarification on re Marguerite's argument about
the necessity to privilege specific elements necessary to support human life
(the ecological system argument' for short).

I don't have a problem with that, but I don't see how it could translate on
1 to 1 relation with social hierarchies are necessary?
Same thing with the 'hierarchies are natural' argument.

The point of culture is to mediate nature to the best human advantage
(ideally). Whether or not natural hierarchies or ecological privilege
translate into social hierarchies is a matter of human ingenuity in
organizing cultural/social systems. I thought the point of the discussion
was to maximise this ingenuity to minimize as much as possible natural
givens if they're disadvantageous and to maximize such givens if they're
advantageous. Of course the question of what's advantageous is a matter of
moral/political choice. Did we agree or not that equality and non-domination
are 'advantageous'?

Oh well, my 2 cents worth

Jacques

PS by the way, i also think that the operations of the gender system are
crucial to the analysis of the world-system. I was impressed by Moghadam's
paper. Thanks to whoever sent it (I forgot whom sorry)