AfroCuban filmmaker premieres "Roots of My Heart" on 1912 Massacre -JTCQ
by cristina

AfroCubaWeb Newsletter #9, 1/22/01

AfroCuban filmmaker Gloria Rolando will be touring the US from March 15th
through May 2001 to premiere
the Spanish language version of her latest film, "Raices de Mi Corazon" ("Roots
of My Heart"). This video
deals for the first time ever with the 1912 massacre of over 6,000 members of
the Independents of Color,
a black political party formed by the veterans of the Cuban Wars of
Independence.  The tour starts on
March 15th in Dallas, Texas. Dates are available starting March 20th.

Gloria Rolando will also bring her other videos: Oggun, Eyes of the Rainbow
(with Assata Shakur), My
Foosteps in Baragua, and el Alacran (descriptions at
http://afrocubaweb.net/gloriarolando.htm)

Summary of "Las Raíces de mi Corazón" - "Roots of my Heart"
 presented by Images of the Caribean, a video group
 (video color, in Spanish, 50 minutes)
 English subtitles are forthcoming but may not be ready for the tour.

Merecedes, a Cuban woman from Havana, begins to decipher her family secrets
through the photo of her
great-grandparents, María Victoria y José Julián. Between reality and the world
of her dreams, she will
learn about the ties this couple -- especially her great-grandfather -- had
with the Independents of Color, a
political party formed in 1908. The struggle of these black men and women to
create a space for
themselves in Cuban society at the beginning of the 20th century had a tragic
outcome: the massacre of
1912. Many families suffered, but history imposed a silence, the same silence
that surrounds Mercedes'
great-grandparents.

Background

The Independents of Color was the first black political party in the hemisphere
outside Haiti. Formed in
1908, it was made up largely of veterans of the Mambi Army, the Cuban Army of
Liberation that defeated
the Spanish in two Wars of Liberation (1868-1878 and 1895 - 1898). Recent
research in Cuba has
established that this army was overwhelmingly made up of Cubans of African
descent: it was one of the
largest slave revolts in the hemisphere. When the Mambises had all but ejected
the Spaniards from Cuba in
1898, the plantocracy allied themselves with the US to bring about the Spanish
American War and gain
back control of the island. The Mambi veterans responded by forming the
Independents of Color to obtain
their rightful share.

"Raices de mi corazon" ("Roots of my heart") is the first treatment on film of
a history that has largely been
ignored ever since 1912 imposed its realities. See our web site for more
information and for photos that
are part of the rarely seen historical stock used in the film:
http://afrocubaweb.net/gloriarolando.htm

Anyone interested in having Gloria give a talk and show her films, please
contact
cristina@afrocubaweb.net.

The AfroCubaWeb Newsletter goes out 4 to 6 times a year. To unsubscribe, just
return this email and put
"remove" or "unsubscribe" in the heading. To subscribe, see www.afrocubaweb.net