< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Imperialism and poverty

by g kohler

07 July 2000 11:41 UTC

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Gomberg ........
Date: July 6, 2000
Subject: Imperialism and poverty

...>snip
>I need help on sources that argue the effect of capitalist institutions
>in creating poverty, particularly in the current period, particularly in
>the "periphery." Thanks in advance,

Have a look at:

Samir Amin, Capitalism in the Age of Globalization. London: Zed Books, 1997.
Chapter 1 has a section on "The Present World System and the Five Monopolies
of the Center" (technological, financial, access to natural resources,
media, weapons of mass destruction)

Specifically on hunger, with interesting case material:
E.M.Young, World Hunger. London: Routledge, 1997. Has chapters on
international perspectives on hunger, national perspecives, subnational
perspectives, gendered perspective, conflict perspective.

I assume you may have seen:
C. Chase-Dunn, Global Formation
A.G. Frank, Crisis (2 volumes)

GK