< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Imperialism and poverty

by Georges Drouet

13 July 2000 13:53 UTC

You may take contact with this people in England:
http://www.brettonwoodsproject.org/
You can also take contact with Joaquin Estefania, opinion section's
director of the Spanish newspaper El Pais ( http://www.elpais.es ) wich
e-mail is opinion@elpais.es
Joaquin Estefania wrote a very interesting book called *Aqui No Puede
Ocurrir* (It can't happen here) in which he describes the role of the IMF
and the WB in the 1997-98 financial crisis and its consequences on emerging
and third world countries.

I hope this information will be useful.

>Dear Colleagues:
>
>I just received from a mainstream philosophy journal a rejection letter
>with an invitation to resubmit for a paper attacking Peter Singer's
>argument that we have a duty to aid victims of global poverty parallel to
>our duty to pull a drowning child from a shallow pond. I argue that the
>analogy obscures the institutions and forces that *create* extreme
>poverty.
>
>The political payoff is a section at the end that suggests
>causes of poverty that are usually ignored; this is the part of the paper
>that was most forcefully rejected by the journal's referees. I would like
>to strengthen that part of the paper. As currently written it cites ILO
>figures and analysis of unemployment and underemployment, presents
>Chossudovsky's analysis of the role of IMF SAPs in creating poverty, and
>mention's Greider's One World as demonstrating the devastating effect of
>markets on the lives of workers. I could also cite Sen on India and China
>to argue for the effectiveness of revolutionary solutions.
>
>I need help on sources that argue the effect of capitalist institutions
>in creating poverty, particularly in the current period, particularly in
>the "periphery." Thanks in advance,
>
>Paul

Visit our site: http://www.simpol.org
_____________