< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

imperialism and poverty

by Paul Gomberg

18 July 2000 16:29 UTC

Thanks to all who wrote with bibliographical suggestions.  The most
useful thing I have found so far is Andre Gunder Frank's chapter in
Crisis in the Third World about agribusiness--he points out how growing
productivity in agriculture is often associatiated with increased
poverty. The only problem is that this was published in 1980 and his
sources were from the 70s.  Does anyone know a more up to date
discussiion of how the growing influence of capitalist agriculture in the
world is excerbating rural poverty? My sense of it is that in countries
such as Mexico more land is coming under the control of major food
conglomerates, undermining the position of traditional farmers, forceing
them into the rural or urban or immigrating proletariat and extending
their poverty. But recent case studies and analysis that make this
argument in detail would be helpful, and I do not have them yet. So I am
still looking for help.

Paul