< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Donor Search / Knochenmarkspendersuche

by Dr. Carlheinz Müller

07 July 2000 11:35 UTC

Dear all,

the e-mail attached below that I received passed - among many others - also
through your hands.

According to my experience it is almost certainly a HOAX since very similar
ones have been on the net before. A patient who, after 8 years of leukemia
and an unsuccessful search for a donor, still believes that a stem cell
transplant depends on ABO and Rh blood groups probably does not exist. (By
the way, it also not a matter of "bone tissue", but of "bone marrow" or
"blood stem cells" - this, however, is only due to a translation error.)

In any case, this e-mail creates lots of confusion without the least chance
to support a specific patient. Nor will there be a benefit for the overall
patient community since donor recruitment through the web is not feasible
in this form and since it ends up wasting the time of people really working
for patients.

It is particularly disappointing that a government institution (bmsg.gv.at)
responsible for health care uncritically forwarded this information,
apparently in an early phase. The promulgation of this mail seems even more
strange since competent references on the web are quoted there.

Good advice is accessible in German through our web-site (www.zkrd.de) and
in English and some other languages through www.bmdw.org and many sites
accessible through links from there.

And, of course, any patient in need would be welcome to contact our
organisation or me personally.

Best regards

Carlheinz Mueller

Dr. Carlheinz Mueller             German Ntl Bone Marrow Donor Registry
Medical Director                  Zentrales Knochenmarkspender-Register
email: carlheinz.mueller@zkrd.de  fuer die Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Tel:   +49-731-1507-10, Fax: -50  ZKRD gGmbH, P.O.B. 4244, D-89032 Ulm