< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Podobnik, future conflicts and all

by Mike Drake

27 February 2000 12:17 UTC

Arno,
Your projected contrast with the conflicts of the WW2
phase unfortunately neglects the historical lesson of
those conflicts for theorisation, ie. The economic
determination of conflict which you advocate for studies of
the present phase simply did not determine the conflicts of
WW2. Rather, political factors proved determinant,
suggesting your projections of the lines of conflict for the
present phase rests upon a highly dubious assumption of
economic determination of conflict.
There is also a problem in exactly how we define widespread
conflict. Your post follows most conventional analysis by
assuming that world-systems conflict is indicated by
conflict which affect major powers. However, such a
perspective is surely relative? From a global
perspective, we may already be in the midst of a period of
violent convulsions in the world system, a convulsion which
is taking other forms than those of conventional political
economy can recognise. The present phase is marked by
conflict along the lines of division between statist
('legitimate') and non-statist ('non-legitimate') economic
forms, networks and activities. This conflict reaches into
the heart of the core state economies, but we do not
recognise it as conflict in the usual sense because it does
not take the form of 'legitimate' warfare between states
(as an indicator of the current level of this conflict, we
could take the level of the prison population of the USA,
or the intensity and quantity of internal armed conflict
in parts of the world where the state is less strong).
i don't think that political economy is redundant, but we
do need to rework it in order to gain critical theoretical
purchase on the present phase, and that requires us to give
greater recognition to the political aspect of the term.
The method you are using here seems to look only at
economic exchange in terms of formal economies, as exchange
between formal state entities.
Mick Drake