< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Wages and the market

by George Pennefather

27 February 2000 08:44 UTC

Concerning wage increases and the recent proposed partnership agreement
between the trade
union movement and the employers in Ireland I make the following
observations:

To say that wage rises, due to the implementation of the agreement, will
push up the rate
of inflation and consequently negatively affect the degree of economic
prosperity in
Ireland is erroneous. If there is a free market then a free labour market
must
correspondingly exist. Consequently if wages rise then this must be  a
result of the
specific market relationship obtaining between the supply and demand of
labour power. If
the there is a real rise in the price of labour power then the demand for
labour power
must exceed the supply. Consequently the working class cannot be subjected
to criticism if
they receive a rise in real wages. Their increase is merely a result of the
laws of
economics that the much of the bourgeoisie and their economic ideologues
subscribe to
and are forever praising. Indeed this very same bourgeoisie claims that it
is distortions
in the market mechanism  that is the source of much of the economic
problems. This is why
they regularly attack state ownership of the means of production in the
form of
nationalisation.This being so then, for them, what is needed are freely
operating market
conditions which means increased wages in Ireland given that according to
much of the
bourgeois economic community the demand for labour power is currently
exceeding the supply
of labour power in Ireland. Such a change in the price of labour power,
according to the
economics of these wise fellows, should lead to economic equilibrium
whereas a price for
labour that does not reflect market conditions will tend to lead to
disequlibrium.

These fellows cannot have it both ways.

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.eircom.net/~beprepared/

Be free to subscribe to our Communist Think-Tank mailing community by
simply placing subscribe in the body of the message at the following
address:
mailto:rev-commies-subscribe@eGroups.com